3.16.2007

Not a shoe girl

I have a horrible confession to make. It turns out that I am not “into shoes.” I don’t know how many episodes of Sex and the City I’ve watched and been completely dumbfounded by Carrie’s ability to spend all of her money on Manolo Blahniks (in case you are wondering I had to google that in order to spell it correctly!). When I see expensive shoes I typically think that they look uncomfortable, and can’t imagine spending so much money on them. I have three pairs of shoes that I alternate between for every day wear (not including my running shoes). I have a pair of brown loafers made by Timberland, which were less than $40. I’ve had them for at least the past 3 years. I wear them to work with everything except black pants. I also have a pair of black loafers made by Dockers, also in the neighborhood of $40, and they are older than the tan shoes. They have a bit of a heel so I like that they make me feel somewhat taller than normal, but otherwise they are very plain. I wear them with black pants, and occasionally with tan pants (especially on business trips when I don’t want to pack more than one pair of shoes in my carry-on…because you know I always have to pack my running shoes). The third pair is sort of a running shoe/mule hybrid. They are New Balance shoes, and fit the bill for weekend wear, or when running errands after work. They go well with shorts, yoga pants, and wind pants (my “play clothes”). I think I spent closer to $50 on them.

I do have more than just those shoes, I have a collection of dressy shoes that I purchased to wear with specific dresses, but they just collect dust in my closet. Most of them are horribly out of style, and extremely uncomfortable. I also have a small spattering of sandals that I’ll drag out in the summer if I don’t feel like wearing my running shoe/mule hybrids. The kids like to pull my “dressy” shoes out to play with, and I never object because someone might as well get some use out of them. Running shoes are an entirely different subject, but I am also pretty no-nonsense about them. I wait until my knees start to ache a bit and then replace the shoes with the exact same model or perhaps the upgraded version if the old one is no longer available. Repeat. I buy 3-4 pairs of running shoes a year depending on my mileage, and at nearly $100 a pop, I suppose I’m fulfilling my shoe quota that way.

I’m not sure what the point of this post is, mostly I’m wondering if I am the only non-shoe girl out there. Am I? If you do have a love affair with shoes, can you tell me why? I am clearly missing something. Oh, I almost forgot about purses, I cannot even be bothered to carry one. My wallet fits fine in my jacket pocket, as does my cell phone and the lip gloss I carry. I do love my current diaper bag though (the Kecci Shanghai Mommy bag), and often get comments about how pretty it is in Azalea (which doesn’t seem to be available anymore). Perhaps that is the hook; a few comments about a diaper bag might just lead me to a purse habit down the road. I guess only time will tell.

6 comments:

Katie Fries said...

I guess I was more into shoes in college when I had a job where I actually had to get dressed up. My one post college job was at a very casual office where some people wore sweats or shorts (jeans were as casual as I got). I have three or four pair of shoes I wear regularly: my nine year old Birk sandals, my black Docs and a Merrell sandal/tennis shoe hybrid. Then there are my running shoes...

Jennifer said...

I have entirely too many pairs of shoes and boots. I won't pay a ton of money for them but I don't scrimp either (except for sandals since they get worn for one season only).

Unlike you, I don't even own a pair of running shoes....

Anonymous said...

I don't care much about shoes either - especially not fancy dress up shoes. I do however like more practical/active shoes. I'm always dog earing shoes I'd like to have out of Title Nine or LL Bean or whatever. I've been wearing the same Dansko clogs for over 5 years now.

I'm crazy for shoes for E. She has far more shoes than me!

As you know, I do love purses/bags. I could go really crazy on those. But unfortunately, practicality/functionality wins out b/c I usually need to carry kids stuff in my bag.

DinaBean said...

Not a shoe or a bag girl, either. I *still* don't have decent black work pumps several months after my last pair died. *sigh*

Lawyer Mama said...

I am a shoe FIEND! Seriously, I would be horrified to actually count my shoes and publish how many I have. Casual shoes, strappy going out shoes (like I do much of that), or my slightly more sedate work shoes - I love them all. I'm not really sure how the habit started - probably vanity. My best feature is my legs and nothing shows off a nice pair of legs like a strappy pair of heels.

I don't buy Manolo Blahniks or Jimmy Choos on a regular basis. I will admit to owning only a few pair of outrageously priced shoes. Sometimes I'll buy a pair of heels at Payless if they're absolutely adorable, but I don't scrimp on shoes. I've found that, while there are a few exceptions, expensive heels are a hell of a lot more comfortable.

Maybe there is something to your theory about getting compliments about a bag & that leading to a habit. I do know that I get comments about my shoes from other women all the time and I must admit that I love it!

Anonymous said...

I have been throwing out unused and outdated shoes for the last two years and can now say that the only ones I have are ones I wear on a regular basis! Gimme some LLBeans, Birks, and good pair of Teva (believe it or not, but I bought my last pair on ToysRUs.com Christmas shopping for the kids - WTF?) or flip flops and I am all good. Sandals are for all times here in the SW and I just can't stand spending the money on good leather shoes.

Robin