9.18.2007

Give me a boost(er seat)

The Boy is four years old, and just maybe a pound or two shy of 40 pounds. Our current carseat situation includes a grand total of four carseats (make that five with the one we purchased yesterday evening). We have a pair of Britax Marathons, and a pair of Evenflo Triumph Vs that remain in our vehicles. This pairing has worked well for us since The Girl outgrew her infant bucket seat. We purchased the Marathons because they allow for 5-point harness usage up to 60 pounds.

We had intended to continue using this pairing of carseats until The Girl reached the height/and or weight limit for the Triumph seats, but we now have a snag in that plan. The Boy began preschool last week. He needs to get from daycare to preschool and then from preschool to home two days per week. We were very thankful that another of his daycare mates is in his preschool class, as this meant we could come up with a carpool arrangement. The snag in the carseat paring comes in when we concluded that it just isn’t possible to fit even the tiny portable low-back booster (our fifth carseat) between the two carseats in my 2000 Honda CRV. There isn’t even a shoulder belt in that position so even if we could fit the carseat there it wouldn’t be safe.

We’ve decided to buy The Boy a booster seat to use in my car from here on out. When his buddy is in the car with him, he will ride in the Marathon (which will otherwise become The Girl’s), and she will ride in the booster seat. When he is in the car with his sister he will ride in the booster seat. As we were contemplating this carseat switcheroo I started seeing the memory You Tube video of the little boy who died when his seatbelt failed in my head, but I had to squash it. I just can’t see spending the money on another Marathon at this point. A big part of me really looks forward to The Boy being able to easily fasten his own seat belt in the booster seat…one less kid to strap in sounds downright heavenly to me. Does it make me a bad Mom to not want to deal with a 5-point harness anymore?
We are looking at the Britax Parkway, anyone have it or another you could tell me about?

2 comments:

Candace said...

thanks for posting that as I am looking forward to some worthy advice. sorry, i have none! Just curious about when she grows out of her current britax....!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I may not be much help b/c I did get a 5 pt harness booster. But if cost is also an issue - you don't have to spend a fortune! We got the Safety 1st Apex 65 Booster Car Seat http://www.safety1st.com/product.asp?productID=2672 for something around $125-130 from Toysrus.com. Target online has it for $129.99. Hubby has it in his truck (I have the Marathon in my van), so we use it mostly on long trips. My mom also has one in her car. Works fine, happy with it.

BTW, you can only use the 5 pt until they're 65 lbs - the seat can be used up to 100 lbs - so obviously you don't HAVE to use the harness.